Happy Place, Happy Space
My first memory of doughnuts is set in a little town in South Texas in the 1990s: noses pressed against the window of a Krispy Kreme outlet impatiently waiting for their “Hot Krispy Kreme Original Glazed Now” neon sign to flash. We eventually left with a box of said goodies & coffee.
I fell in love that day. I still enjoy a good doughnut, with my experience taking me away from original glazed to beignets (first tried in New Orleans, not France, although credited to the latter), churros (my first taste at Disneyland; doughnut hailing from Mexico, Spain, Latin America), bomboloni (Italy), and then closer to home but experienced/remembered later in life: jalebi (South Asia, Middle East), youtiao (China), an-donut (Japan), Gulab Jamun (India), Kueh Keria (Malaysia, Indonesia).
I resisted making these delectables at home – recipes I looked at inevitably involved deep frying, which I judiciously avoid. But when I saw Doughnut Muffins on King Arthur Baking, I coaxed Baker Fiend Younger Child to my aid.
While obviously not a Krispy Kreme, it is a tender-crumbed cakey donut encrusted in cinnamon sugar. What’s not to love?
In the interest of research, I googled Doughnuts around the World. I am thrilled that I have so many more of these yummalicious treats to try.
Do you have a favourite doughnut?
🍩 🍩 🍩 🍩 🍩
Reading your Joyful Posts brings me to my happy place. I hope having them in one place makes it easier for you to find when you need a bit of happy therapy, too.
If you would like to join in Happy Place, Happy Space, ping back to this post and I will include you next week.
- Betsy at Parenting is Funny‘s I took down Andre the Giant: regales us with another jiujitsu tale
- Carol Ann Siciliano‘s Delights: enjoys a weekend with the girls
- Donna at Wind Kisses’ Simple Pleasures: delights in an unexpected gift
- Janet Mary Cobb’s What’s on My Bookshelf, My Plate, and My Mind: shares a collage of goings-on
- Laurie at Notes from the Hinterland‘s Winter deepens: white on red: shares more snowyscapes, this time with several touches of red
- Nancy Loderick‘s Having fun in the snow: plays in the snow
- Natalie at Little Pieces of Me‘s Grateful Fridays: runs a race raising funds for making running accessible; woohoo, Natalie!
- Natalie the Explorer‘s Nordic Lights: 6 Dazzling Displays: dazzles with the Nordic Lights Festival
- Tracy at Reflections of an Untidy Mind‘s How long is too long? contemplates a candidate for a Couple Song
- Thistles and Kiwis’ This Week’s Small Pleasures: focuses on things that bring smiles in a week of ups & downs
- Trent’s World‘s The Weekly Smile: recalls a kindness that keeps on giving
🍩 🍩 🍩 🍩 🍩